Frequently Asked Questions
Here are some frequently asked questions regarding the Upward Bound Projects at CSU, Chico. If you cannot find an answer to your question, feel free to contact our office .
What is Upward Bound?
• Year round program for motivated students with academic potential who want to continue their education after high school.
How do I know which program to apply to?
• If you are a rising sophomore or junior and are interested in entering the fields of math or science, apply to the Math/Science Upward Bound program. All other students should just apply to Upward Bound and we'll place you in the right program for you.
Is there a different application for each program?
• There is only one Upward Bound application, but if you're applying for the Math/Science program, you'll need to write a personal statement describing how the Math and Science program will help you achieve your goal.
What are the requirements?
• Student must be in grades 8-11 to apply. We serve 9-12 grades.
• Family is low income (established by US Government) OR if neither of your parents have a 4 year college degree
• We also select students based on recommendations from teachers, grades, test scores, and a personal interview.
• You must attend one of the following high schools:
|Biggs High School||Colusa High School||Hamilton Union High School|
|Chico Senior High School||Orland High School|
|Gridley High School||Willows High School|
|Las Plumas High School|
|Oroville High School|
|Paradise Senior High School|
|Pleasant Valley High School|
|Liva Oak High School||Los Molinos High School||Marysville High School|
|River Valley High School||Red Bluff High School||Lindhurst High School|
|Yuba City High School|
What services does Upward Bound provide?
• Academic tutoring (summer and academic year)
• Advising (summer and academic year)
• Assistance in obtaining financial aid
• Six week summer residential program
• Field trips (college trips, leadership conferences, senior trips)
• Test preparation assistance (EPT, ELM, CHSEE, ACT, SAT)
• Laptop and equipment loan program
• Career exploration internships
Once accepted, do I have to attend the summer program?
• Yes, the summer program is MANDATORY every summer until you graduate from high school.
Do I have to attend Chico State to be in Upward Bound?
• No, we encourage our students to attend any postsecondary institution of their choice.
Is there a fee to be a part of Upward Bound?
• NO, Upward Bound is a federally funded program through the US Department of Education therefore all costs are covered by the program and at no time is the parent or student expected to pay for our services.
What kind of benefit do students receive after graduating from high school?
• CSU, Chico Upward Bound Alumni Association
• Academic assistance through college
• Opportunity to apply for the Amy Kee scholarship
How long is the program?
• Once the student is accepted into the program, they are in until graduating from high school
Where can I get an application?
•You can download an English application here (link), or a Spanish application here (link).
• Applications are available from your high school counselor.
• Or you can call the Upward Bound office @ 898-5181 and request one be sent to you.
Can you speak to a group of parents, organizations or students?
• Yes, we actively recruit at our high schools. If you are interested in learning more about our program, please contact Cesar Alvarez at 898-5181.